Department of English, Western Michigan University
Office: Sprau 921
2014 Doctorate of Philosophy, Illinois State University. Children’s Literature.
2009 Masters of Arts, Western Michigan University. Literature with Children’s Literature Focus.
2007 Bachelors of Science, Western Michigan University. Summa Cum Laude. Lee Honors College. Elementary Education and English.
2015-Pres: Faculty Specialist II, English Department, Western Michigan University
2015-Pres: Faculty Liaison to the College of Education and Human Development, focusing on the Elementary Language Arts Major, Western Michigan University
2014-2015: Lecturer, English Department, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
2013-2014: Associate Editor of the Grassroots Writing Research Journal, Writing Program Leadership Team, Illinois State University
2010-2014: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Illinois State University
2009-Pres: Online Instructor- Composition & Professional Writing, Davenport University
2012: Facilitator for ISU Business Writing Workshop, Illinois State University
2009-2010: Adjunct Instructor- Online/In-Class Composition Hybrid and Children’s Literature Classes, Western Michigan University
2009-2010: Associate Director of Composition for Technology, Western Michigan University English Department
2009-2010: Adjunct Instructor- Developmental Writing, Lake Michigan College
2009: Online Composition Instructor, Western Michigan University English Department
2009: Assistant Director of First Year Writing, Western Michigan University English Department
2008-2009: Faculty Assessment Grant Assistant, First Year Writing Program, Western Michigan University English Department
2007-2009: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Western Michigan University English Department
2003-2006: Resident Assistant & Living Learning Specialist of Community Service, Western Michigan University Residence Life
ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS AND REVIEWS
“Teaching Adolescent Film: A Cultural-Historical Activity Theory Approach.” Options for Teaching YA Literature. Ed. Mike Cadden, Roberta Seelinger Trites, and Karen Coats. Accepted.
“‘Unless Someone Like You’ Buys a Ticket to this Movie: Dual Audience and Aetonormativity in Picturebook to Film Adaptations.” Forthcoming in Children’s Literature in Education.
“The Difficulty in Deciphering the ‘Dreams That You Dare to Dream’: Adaptive Dissonance in Wizard of Oz Films.” Children’s Literature Association Quarterly. 42.2 (Summer 2017): 185-204.
“Framing Agency: Graphic Adaptations of Coraline and City of Ember.” Comics Storytelling for Young People. Ed. Gwen Athene Tarbox and Michelle Ann Abate. Forthcoming.
“The Possibilities of Double-Voiced Discourse: Investigating Embodiment in David Levithan’s Every Day.” SIGNAL. 38.2 (Spring/Summer 2015): 20-25. Print.
“Hungering for Middle Ground: Binaries of Self in Young Adult Dystopia.” The Politics of Panem: Critical Perspectives on the Hunger Games. Ed. Sean Connor. Boston: Sense, 2014. Print.
Rev. of Uncharted Depths: Descent Narratives in English and French Children’s Literature, by Kiera Vaclavik. The Final Chapters: Concluding Papers of The Journal of Children’s Literature Studies. Ed. by Pat Pinsent and Bridget Carrington. Wizard’s Tower Books. 2012. Ebook.
Staff Reviewer for VOYA (Voice of Youth Advocates), 2011-pres. Over 45 published or forthcoming reviews as of Fall 2017:
- Vanguard by Ann Aguirre
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
- Lucky Broken Girl by Ruth Behar
- Beautiful Broken Girls by Kim Savage
- Exploring Theater Series by Ron Rauf, George Capaccio, and Bethany Bryan
- Aerie by Headley Maria Dahvana
- With Malice by Eileen Cook
- It Wasn’t Always Like This by Joy Preble
- Stars Above by Marisa Meyer
- Keeper’s Chronicles: The Skylighter by Becky Wallace
- Valkyrie by Kate O’Hearn
- Charmed Deception by Ellis O’Neal
- A Toolkit for Department Chairs by Jeffrey L Buller and Robert E Cipriano
- Reawakened by Colleen Houck
- Chart of Tomorrows by Chris Willrich
- Magnificent Minds: 16 Remarkable Women in Science & Medicine by Pendred Noyce
- Half Wild by Sally Green
- Eternity Key by Bree Despain
- In the Time of the Dragon Moon by Janet Lee Carrey
- The Last Changeling by Chelsea Pitcher
- Tut by PJ Hoover
- Island at the End of the World by Austin Aslan
- Starfall by Michael Griffo
- Half Bad by Sally Green
- Remnants of Tomorrow by Kassy Tayler
- Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee
- How To Love by Katie Cotugno
- Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
- Solstice by PJ Hoover
- The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer
- The Planet Thieves by Dan Kroskos
- The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart by Leanna Renee Hieber
- Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro Graphic Novel
- Midnight City by Barton Mitchell
- Dark Graphic Tales Series Graphic Novels
- Flutter by Gina Linko Computing and Connecting in the 21st Century Series Nonfiction
- Tangled by Erica O’Rourke
- Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook
- Spirit’s Princess by Esther Friesner
- Today’s Writers and Their Works Series Nonfiction
- Lily Renee, Escape Artist by Trina Robbins Graphic Novel
- Technicolor Ultra Mall by Ryan Oakley
- Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory by George O’Connor Graphic Novel
- Wherever Grace Is Needed by Elizabeth Bass
- Battle Fatigue by Mark Kurlansky
“Taking the High Road: Why Learning to Write Isn’t Easy and What We Can Do About It.” Textbook Article Publication in Grassroots Writing Research Annual, Second Edition (Illinois State University ENGL 101 Textbook, 2011).
“Free at Last: Multimodality in the Modern Classroom.” Textbook Article Publication in Writing Beyond the Rules: Juxtaposition, Disruption and Multiple Genres, Second Edition (Western Michigan University ENGL 1050 Textbook, 2009).
“Drawing the Lines of Genre & Crossing Them: Redefining Genre Studies in First Year Writing.” Textbook Article Publication in Writing Beyond the Rules: Juxtaposition, Disruption and Multiple Genres, First and Second Editions (Western Michigan University ENGL 1050 Textbook, 2008-2009).
Faculty Specialist II at Western Michigan University, Fall 2015-Summer 2017
- ENGL 3820 Literature for the Young Child
- ENGL 3830 Literature for the Intermediate Reader: Seven Sections
- ENGL 3840 Adolescent Literature: Two Sections
- ENGL 5820 Children’s and Adolescent Literature: Image and Theory (graduate course)
Online Instructor at Davenport University, Winter 2009-Summer 2017
- ENGL 109 Composition: Eight Sections
- ENGL 311 Professional Writing: Nine Sections
- ENGL 110 Advanced Composition: Four Section
Lecturer at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Fall 2014-Spring 2015
- ENGL 2280 Children’s Literature: Five Sections
- ENGL 2290 Adolescent Literature: Two Sections
- ENGL 1020 Rhetoric and Composition II: One Section
Graduate Teaching Assistant at Illinois State University, Fall 2010-Spring 2014
- ENG 170 Foundations in Literature for Children: Six Sections
- IDS 121.19 Literary Studies- Texts and Contexts: Two Sections
- ENG 101 Composition as Critical Inquiry (Honors): Two Sections
- ENG 145 Writing in the Academic Disciplines: Two Sections
- ENG 124 Film Style and Literature (Online): One Section (Teaching Assistant)
Graduate Teaching Assistant and Adjunct Instructor at Western Michigan University
Spring 2006-Spring 2010
- ENGL 3830 Literature for the Intermediate Reader: Two Sections
- ENGL 1050 Thought and Writing (Online/In-Class Hybrid, pilot): Two Sections
- ENGL 1050 Thought and Writing: Five Sections (one online)
- ENGL 5970 Studies in English- Czech Literature (Teaching Assistant in Prague)
- ENGL 3840 Adolescent Literature: Practicum with Dr. Gwen Tarbox
- ENGL 3820 Literature for the Young Child: Practicum with Dr. Gwen Tarbox
- ENGL 1200 Literary Classics: Fieldwork with Scott Friesner as undergraduate, Fall 2004
Adjunct Faculty at Lake Michigan College
- ENGL 095 Foundations of College Reading and Writing, Fall 2009
““Unless Someone Like You” Buys a Ticket to this Movie: Adult-Centered Additions in Film Adaptations of Children’s Picturebooks.” IRSCL, 2017.
“Loving Her Makes Me More Human: Female Saviors in Young Adult Film Adaptations.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2017.
“Core Competencies Chapter by Chapter: The Lifeline and Limits of Children’s Literature Textbooks.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2016.
“Deciphering the ‘Dreams That You Dare to Dream’: Conflicting Ideologies in Adaptations of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2015.
“Romancing the YA Film—Ideological Shifts in Ella Enchanted and Stardust.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2014.
“More than Child’s Play: Children’s Literature and Interdisciplinarity.” Word’s Worth Conference, 2014.
“Experiencing English Studies: An Interactive Roundtable Discussion.” New Directions Conference, 2013.
“CHATing about Literature Pedagogy and Analytical Activity.” International Genre 2012 Conference, 2012.
“Alice on a Quest: Destiny and Constructed Identity in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2012.
“The Last Human Monster: Power, Sexuality and Embodiment in Kristin Cashore’s Fire.” International Conference of Fantastic in the Arts, 2012.
“Framing Dorothy: Gendered Portrayals in Wizard of Oz Graphic Novels.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2011.
“The Adaptable Alice: Re-appropriating the Ridiculous in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.” International Conference of Fantastic in the Arts, 2011.
“’Maybe She’d Just Love Something to Eat’: Coraline’s Other Mother and the Evolution of the Female Villain.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2010.
“Awfully Grimm within these Frames: Examining Fairy Tale Retellings in Visual Narratives.” Conference Paper Presentation, 2009 Children’s Literature Association Conference. Also Professional Visual Display, 2009 WMU Research and Creative Activities Day, Award Winner.
“Breaking the Glass Slipper: Redefining the ‘Normal’ Fairy Tale in Levine’s Ella Enchanted.” Children’s Literature Association Conference, 2008.
WMU Elementary Education / English Liaison, Fall 2015-present
WMU English Department Policy Committee, Fall 2016-present
Anthony Ellis Scholarly Speakers Series Committee, Fall 2015-present
Teaching and Learning Committee, Children’s Literature Association, Fall 2015-present
Committee Chair, New Directions Conference, Fall 2012-Spring 2013
Graduate OmBuds Committee, Fall 2012-Spring 2013
Leveled Library Purchasing Consultant, Ottawa Elementary, Spring 2013
Writing Committee, Fall 2011-Spring 2012
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- ISU Summer Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2014
- Taimi Maria Ranta Scholar, 2014
- Taimi Maria Ranta Children’s and Young Adult Literature Scholarship , 2012
- Taimi Ranta Travel Scholarship, 2011
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, WMU 2007-2009 & ISU 2010-pres
- All-University Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award, 2009
- Norma VanRheenen Award for Excellence in Teaching College Writing, 2009
- Research and Creative Activities Poster Day Award Recipient, 2009
- Dean’s List, College of Education and College of Arts and Science, 2002-2007
- Medallion Scholarship, 2002-2006
- Frederick J. and Katherine Rogers Memorial Shakespeare Award, 2006
- George Sprau Award, 2006
- Dean’s Summer Research Grant, 2005
- Lofton Burge Educational Scholarship, 2004
- Ralph N. Miller Memorial Award, 2003
ELEMENTARY TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Michigan Provisional Teaching Certificate, 2007-2013
K-5 all subjects, 6-8 English and Science
- 2008 Substitute Teacher, Kalamazoo Public Schools
- 2007 Intern Teacher, Winchell Elementary
- 2006 Pre- Intern Teacher, Winchell Elementary
- 2006 ELL Project Coordinator, Maple Street Middle School
- 2005 Guest Reading Tutor, Lincoln Elementary